by : Johannes Lehmann, Stephen Joseph
by : Erina Sulistiani, Samsul Ahmad Yani
ISO 9001:2008 Certified
ISO 17025:2005 Certified
Application and Approval Process
An applicant must fully accomplish the prescribed Application Form (i.e., for Thesis Students or On-the-Job/Practicum Students) and submit it through email to BIOTROP Human Resource Management Unit together with the required attachments as follows:
- Copy of research/activity proposal (for thesis students only) approved by the academic/office supervisors with research schedule
- A maximum of 3-page copy of curriculum vitae
- 4 x 6 photo cm
- letter of endorsement/recommendation from academic adviser
- BIOTROP will inform the applicant on the status of his/her application two (2) weeks after receipt of all duly accomplished application form and attachments.
- BIOTROP will send confirmation letter and the Internship Agreement Form to the applicant if his/her application is accepted. The confirmation letter and Internship Agreement contain basic information on the terms of reference of the internship and other logistical arrangements in relation to the student’s travel and stay at BIOTROP.
- Upon receiving confirmation letter and Internship Agreement Form from BIOTROP, the student shall submit the following documents to BIOTROP Human Resource Management Unit Head:
- Copy of the Internship Agreement Form, duly signed by him/her and his/her academic supervisor
- Copy of the original letter of recommendation from his/her academic supervisor.
- Photocopy of his/her student ID
- BIOTROP shall assign the appropriate scientist/unit head with whom the student will be working with as his/her mentor throughout his/her internship at the Centre.
- On the other hand, if BIOTROP finds that the application is not within its program thrusts and mandate, the applicant will also be notified and may give referral to other relevant organizations where possible.
Support from BIOTROPAny BIOTROP Student Intern can be provided the following support from BIOTROP:
- Technical assistance from concerned scientists/unit heads
- Administrative support in terms of:
- ccess to Centre library and other library resources
- Use of office facilities and equipment (room, vehicle, computer and printer, photocopying machine) and services (email, website, fax) with appropriate charges where applicable
Reporting and Expected Outputs
Upon completion of internship, all BIOTROP Student Interns are expected to:
- Submit a written report of his/her accomplishments while with BIOTROP, including copies of all outputs produced;
- Present his/her research results (for Thesis Students only) to BIOTROP staff before returning home to his/her home or work station.
Adherence to BIOTROP Policies
All BIOTROP Student Interns are expected to follow all BIOTROP policies throughout their internship period.
Changes to the Terms and Conditions
Changes in the stipulations in the Internship Agreement can be made initiated by either the student, his/her academic adviser, or BIOTROP management anytime during the internship period if necessary. Changes shall be made in writing and concurred by all concerned. Revised copies of the agreement shall be distributed to the BIOTROP Student Intern, his/her academic adviser, and all relevant scientists/managers and administrative units.
Termination of Internship
BIOTROP has the right to terminate the internship agreement when there is evidence of unsatisfactory progress by the BIOTROP Student Intern over a prolonged period. This could be done by the concerned scientist/unit head in writing addressed to the BIOTROP Director, stating justification of the termination. A copy of the letter shall also be sent to the BIOTROP Student Intern and his/her academic adviser. A written approval of the BIOTROP Director is required before the termination could be enforced.
BIOTROP could provide either a letter or certificate, upon request of the BIOTROP Student Intern, confirming his/her internship with the Centre. This letter or certificate shall be addressed to “Whom it May Concern” containing the objectives, dates, duration and key activities and achievements of the BIOTROP Student Intern during his/her internship with the Centre.