by : Johannes Lehmann, Stephen Joseph
by : Erina Sulistiani, Samsul Ahmad Yani
ISO 9001:2008 Certified
ISO 17025:2005 Certified
The deadline for entry submission is extended to 16 November 2012
SEAMEO BIOTROP believes that conservation of the region's biodiversity is everyone's responsibility. Recognizing the unique and rich biological resources we have and understanding their real values are critical considerations toward having more meaningful conservation efforts. Photo documentation is one practical way towards actualizing this purpose. It is for this reason that SEAMEO BIOTROP is launching this regional biodiversity conservation photo competition.
This annual competition is among the special initiatives of SEAMEO BIOTROP under its 9th Five-Year Development Plan (2012-2017). In general, the contest aims to usher greater public awareness and support to biodiversity conservation efforts in Southeast Asia. Different themes will be featured for every competition year that would build upon each other towards achieving the contest objective. Other than generating a database of quality photographs of the region's biodiversity, the competition is expected to surface biodiversity conservation concerns from the public's perspectives that need more policy and research interventions and financial support from governments and development organizations.
SEAMEO BIOTROP is launching the competition this year with the theme "The Beauty and Uniqueness of My Country's Tropical Biodiversity."
- The contest is open to all nationals and residents of Southeast Asian countries who are at least 18 years of age at the time of entry.
- Each contestant must complete and submit an entry form (please see attached) along with a photograph entry. A contestant could submit at most three (3) photograph entries accompanied by individual entry forms each.
- In entering this competition, all contestants must acknowledge and guarantee that their photograph entries are their original works and do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph. The contestants must also guarantee that their photograph entries have not won in previous competitions and not been used in any publication.
- BIOTROP shall keep all data entered by the applicants in the Entry Form as confidential. However, applicants must agree that such personal data, especially name and address, may be processed, shared, and otherwise used for the purposes and within the context of this Contest.
- All contestants must comply with the following photograph requirements:
- All entries must be in digital format, thus, only online entries will be eligible. Each entry must be within 5 megabytes, in JPEG/JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels either in a horizontal or vertical image
- All photographs must have been taken within two (2) years before the date of entry into this contest. Scans of transparencies and photographic prints are not acceptable.
- Minor cropping, dodging, and burning are allowed on the original photograph. Any major image manipulation (e.g., over or under color saturation, dual tones, etc.) on the original photograph will disqualify the entry.
- The photograph must not contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable element based on the standards of BIOTROP.
- All photographs must be in color.
- All entries must be submitted to BIOTROP on or before 5pm (GMT 7) 16 November 2012.
- BIOTROP has the right to examine the original photograph/source material to confirm compliance with the requirements above and officially accepts or disqualifies entries.
- BIOTROP shall have the right to store the winning entries and finalists in its database and also use them for scientific and publication purposes.
Selection and Judging Processes
- BIOTROP shall constitute a Panel of Judges consisting of 5 individuals for the contest.
- Winning entries will be judged according to two criteria: (1) 50% Creativity, and 50% Photographic Quality.
- There will be two rounds of selection process. For the first round, each judge will select his/her top 5 entries based on the abovementioned criteria. Then, all top five entries of each judge shall be subjected for a second round of judging. The Panel of Judges will collectively select the first, second, and third winners from the round one entries.
- In the event of a tie, the Panel of Judges will re-evaluate the tied entries. In the event that a tie remains after re-judging, the entry with the highest score in the creativity criteria will be declared the winner.
- Decisions of the Panel of Judges are final and binding.
Cash prizes and certificates shall be awarded to the winning entries. The cash prizes are as follows:
First Prize : US$400
Second Prize : US$300
Third Prize : US$200
A "People's Choice Award" will also be given to the entry that would garner the most number of internet votes via a social network. The winner for this award will receive US$100 and a corresponding certificate.
Other entries that will make it to the first round of selection shall be acknowledged as honorable mention and will also be given certificates of recognition.
BIOTROP will accept submission of photo entries starting 27 July to 16 November 2012.
Announcement of Winners and Exhibition of Winning Photos
Winners will be notified by email by mid January 2013. Winners list will be announced at BIOTROP website and officially declared during the Centre's Anniversary in February 2013 where the winning photos will be exhibited.
Right to Cancel or Suspend the Contest
BIOTROP has the right to cancel or suspend the contest to infection by computer virus/ bugs, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the Centre's control that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest. BIOTROP would inform all participants about the cancellation/suspension and instructions on how to proceed with the Contest if problems could be addressed.
Download poster for web banner